View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 22 TCM Micromag, PK224S, 22 Reed Express, 9mm BOZ 

Post 22 TCM Micromag, PK224S, 22 Reed Express, 9mm BOZ
I was looking up something yesterday and it turned into a rabbit-hole of various bottlenecked 9mm cases loaded with 22 bullets.

The first thing I noticed was that apparently as of 2010, the .224 BOZ is being adapted to the 9mm case instead of the 10mm case as it was originally designed for. There are only a scant few details on the internet, but I did find a few photos. I'm not sure if this is for real since Civil Defense Supply's website no longer mentions this cartridge. It seems just like the .22 TCM, but with AP bullets:
http://operatorchan.org/k/arch/res/293240.html

"224 BOZ 9mm version next to 10mm version?"

This ".22 TCM Micromag" from Armscor is the newest and most exciting thing in this sort of cartridge since it will be available at commercial production levels for the civilian market! The gun holds 18rds, and the velocity / abilities of the little projectile are impressive. It is due out in the next few months through Rock Island distributors:
Rock Island (Armscor) .22 TCM (.22 Micromag):
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/11/foghorn/ria-introduces-first-production-22-tcm-firearm/

http://dev.rockislandarmory.com/index.php/pistols/22-tcm

An article in the October American Handgunner magazine:
http://www.americanhandgunner.com/hi-velocity-micro-magnum/

This little wildcat by Paul Kightlinger is similar to the newer .22 TCM, except that he seems to push velocity to the absolute limit and achieves pretty impressive penetration through steel with any type of bullet:
Paul Kightlinger's PK224 & PK224S:
http://www.gunblast.com/Kightlinger.htm
More discussion on it at this forum:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9307

The 22 Reed express is sort of a defunct project from Reed's Ammunition that is based on a 7.62x25 case necked down to .22. There used to be barrels available for the CZ52 to shoot the stuff, and also TC Contender setups, but nothing much seems to be happening with this caliber lately:
22 Reed Express:
http://www.reedsammo.com/-.html
The 22 Reed express has an entry on Ammoguide.com unlike the other 3 cartridges listed above:

I know there are other cartridges like this based on pistol cases necked down to .22 like the .225 JAWS, and .224 VOB, but are there any others?

Ask about my book: "Pistol Caliber Penetrators"
Image - coming soon!

Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:47 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: 22 TCM Micromag, PK224S, 22 Reed Express, 9mm BOZ
Do you know of the .223 IMI? I did post some info on it here before.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:56 am

That's a good one too. I saw one mention of it online but didn't follow up on it. Here is one previous thread:
http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2768

Image - coming soon!

Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:51 pm
Profile WWW

jonnyc wrote:

Three other guys and myself have been working on a 223 Short for a couple of seasons, we will be finished with initial testing this summer.

It is the same length as the 5.7x28 (1.135"), made from a 223 Rem case, and shares the same neck and same shoulder as a 223 Rem, easy to make.

It has a case capacity of 14g L'il Gun, and a 11.5g charge will drop a coyote dead in its tracks at 300 yards with a 50g bullet, about 3200fps.

With a target rifle, it does <MOA at 300 yards, no problem. Can put 8 of 9 shots in the same hole at 50yds using Benchmark.

Someone suggested we try and get a pistol chambering, which sounds interesting.

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Welcome to the forum Brian. According to the data out there about shortened .223 cases vs 9mm cases, short .223's can be loaded to a pressure similar to 9mm while still getting very high velocity out of a small .22 projectile. The case heads are similar enough, that basically the only thing most pistols would need is a barrel swap-out to function. Yours having a length similar to the 5.7 would be the only hurdle since those would not fit in a 9x19 magazine. 9mm magnum magazines though, there's a possibility (but so few guns exist for that caliber):

Here's a new .22TCM photo I found showing a lineup for comparison:
L to R: .22TCM - .22WMR - 5.7x28 - 9mm

Image - coming soon!

Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:54 am
Profile WWW

Brian - welcome. However, be advised that reloading is a prohibited topic here when it come
to mentioning powder charges. Everything else in your posting is welcome information and
interesting. There is good interest in wildcat cartridges on this Forum, and some guys who
are really expert on the subject (I am NOT one of them, unfortunately). Just thought I
would mention it. No criticism intended. You would not have known.

Again, welcome to our Forum.

Life Member ECRA
Benefactor Member NRA

Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:25 pm

brianlewis wrote:
jonnyc wrote:

Three other guys and myself have been working on a 223 Short for a couple of seasons, we will be finished with initial testing this summer.

Sounds not very different from the 5.56mm Colt MARS of the 1990s, which has a 30mm case length. The Indians have also been testing a shortened 5.56mm, the 5.56x30 MINSAS for use in the MSMC project, but the ballistics are no better than the 5.7x28 - it must be seriously downloaded for some reason. See: http://world.guns.ru/smg/india/msmc-e.html

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:59 pm
Profile WWW

Looks like the 22 TCM ammo is now available via Centerfiresystems in the U.S. They are a major Rock Island retailer, so it figures. They show the gun, but backordered. The ammo seems to be in stock:

http://centerfiresystems.com/am22-tcm-jhp.aspx

Fun to have a brand new production-level pistol caliber which goes to a bona-fide production pistol. What was the last new production pistol cartridge - the .50GI? - or the 5.7x28 before that? There are other things like the 400 corbon, 9x25 Dillon, or 40 Super, but they didn't have pistols devoted entirely to them, just barrel swap-outs, I think?

Image - coming soon!

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:23 pm
Profile WWW

I need to get hold of one of those .22 TCM rounds...

What's the case length? Looks to be about 25mm.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 pm
Profile WWW

brianlewis wrote:
It is the same length as the 5.7x28 (1.135"), made from a 223 Rem case, and shares the same neck and same shoulder as a 223 Rem, easy to make.
Someone suggested we try and get a pistol chambering, which sounds interesting.

Thought I would also add that after seeing Pivi's recent post about the 9mm FAR load, that pistols chambered for that longer case might also be able to accommodate your .223 short if you were trying to get into a pistol loading/platform. It's another obscure gun which is basically custom (expensive), but you can see in the photo here how the case length, hence magazine size, might work for you:

Image - coming soon!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:08 am
Profile WWW

the case head on that case seems to be very thick. Is this because the Breech unlocks while pressure is still at a level that would rupture a conventional case?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Falcon - that is the very point of this cartridge. It allows the safe, efficient use of a relatively
hot cartridge in a straight blowback pistol. As the same gas pushing the bullet forward is pushing
the case backward, turning the cartridge case into a piston for opening the action, the theory is
that by the time the solid head begins to clear the rear of the chamber, the gas pressure is either
gone or minimal, and inertia finishes the opening of breech. It means the gun can have a fixed barrel,
not tilting, rotating or unlocking in some other manner that causes movement of the barrel, making (in
theory), for better accuracy. Also, the gun should be a little cheaper to manufacture, not have to
machine locking lugs in the barrel or manufacture some other locking device. Of course, in this day
of CNC machinery, how much cheaper would probably be measured in pennies. The cartridge cases
might be a bit more expensive, just from the amount of brass in them at the current prices of various
metals. That should not be a huge consideration either, however. With a pistol, the added weight
of ammunition, based on what even the average soldier carries for a pistol, should be no problem at
all. The system makes some sense - much more than some of the "gun stuff" that has appeared on
the market in the last 20 years or so. Still, it didn't catch on and is probably a dead issue by now.

Life Member ECRA
Benefactor Member NRA

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:53 pm

(Bump) - does anyone know the case length of the .22 TCM please?

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:04 pm
Profile WWW

I have ordered a couple boxes and they are due to arrive tomorrow. I'll post an update with the specs.

Image - coming soon!

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:07 pm
Profile WWW

The .22 TCM ammo arrived to me today and the case length on them is 1.022" or 25.97mm. The headstamp is: "AP 22 TCM", and the primer is a silver colored small pistol primer. The bullet (only bullet type offered thus far) is a 40gr semi-jacketed hollow soft point. I did an entry for the cartridge at www.ammoguide.com with all the complete case dimensions, so that should appear within a week or so and have a complete case schematic.

Image - coming soon!

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next