View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 450 Howell with unusual headstamp 

Post 450 Howell with unusual headstamp
Good day all

I have come accross a 450 Howell cartridge with a headstamp that I have not seen before.

It has a mirrowed R as the manufacturer (i.e.one forward and one reverse R with a common verticle portion).

Can anyone tell me who the manufacturer of such cartridge is and if any other cartridge headstamps exist from the same manufacturer. What country do the cartridges originate or is it a copy/fake? Are they commercially available?

Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:23 am

Post Re: 450 Howell with unusual headstamp
I think those are made in South Africa for Will Reuter and Ed Reynolds, (Reuter & Reynolds) Both of whom like & sell wildcats.

Zac

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:44 am

I agree, these are Reuter - Reynolds products...

Looking for info about strange and unusual 6,5 mm Carcano ammo , bullets and clips

Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 pm

So, evidently these cartridges are not commercially produced. What is the collectability of these cartridges as they appear to be made for collectors only and not for persons with the actual rifles/handguns. I also found a .257 Hellbender in a buddies collection with the same headstamp. I assume therefore that it is a wildcat which has been commercialized for a limited number of collectors by the persons mentioned in the previous post. Where does collecting of cartridges stop?

Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:06 am

Jim,

as a wildcat collector I have always thought that a wildcat made with the proper die and bearing the parent case hds, and a correct headstamped made by a cutom maker like Qual Cart or others have the same collector value.

Yes, correct headstamped brass can be made in limited quantities only becaming scarce, but I have never put attention to the headstamps while collecting wildcat cartridges.... my aim is simply having THAT CARTRIDGE in my collection.

Also note that the same wildcat cartridge can be found with several dimensional variations, while correct headstamped brass usually represent the most common variation.

Looking for info about strange and unusual 6,5 mm Carcano ammo , bullets and clips

Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:43 am

"Where does collecting of cartridges stop?" It starts and stops with the individual collector. Each one collects what he wants. He acquires cartridges that meet his criteria for his collection; someone else's criteria is basically irrelevant. Hobbies are started for the enjoyment of the individual and there are many motives for it - investment (likely the poorest reason), the opportunity to meet new friends of similar interests (certainly one of the best reasons), increasing one's knowledge within a subject that has attracted his interest, joy in accumulating items in which you have an interest (pride of ownership, I guess, would cover that), etc. They are ALL valid reasons for collecting, although most serious collectors would agree that some are better reasons than others, although they would likely disagree on which is which.

People leave a hobby for many reasons as well, sometimes nothing more than that they have tired of a subject. In that case, it is not unusual for someone to start collecting something else. Sometimes it is for financial reasons. Many of us have had to part with a collection that we would have liked to have kept, simply because of the need to recoup whatever funds we could for something more important than a hobby.

Just my take on things.

Life Member ECRA
Benefactor Member NRA

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]